castle

Woodland

Coed Craig Ruperra appears in the first records of Ancient Woodlands in Wales in 1600. It retained this status until the 1920s when conifers were planted during the drive to grow more wood after the First World War. The ice blizzard in 1917 had destroyed many oaks and there was further commercial conifer planting after the estate was sold in 1950s, covering the whole site by the 1990s. The native wild animals and plants gradually disappeared.After the clear felling in the late 90s, bracken and bramble invaded the site, choking the natural regeneration.

Ruperra Conservation Trust purchased Coed Craig Ruperra in 2000 and is now in the process of restoring the original landscape features, hoping to return the woodland to an ancient semi-natural state and protecting the biodiversity of the site.

At the official opening in June 2002 by national dignitaries, some pear trees were planted in honour of the name first recorded in mediaeval times, Rhiw'r perrai meaning 'hill of pear trees'.