castle

About us

The first Trust to be set up was Ruperra Castle Conservation Trust in 1996. The word ‘castle’ was dropped from the name in 2000 at the suggestion of the Charity Commission, to enable the purchase of Coed Craig Ruperra and in view of a private person having bought the castle in 1998.

Six of the trustees of Ruperra Conservation Trust set up a new Trust in 2008 called Ruperra Castle Preservation Trust so as to concentrate on the immediate planning matters concerning the Castle. They are now trustees of both trusts. In open rolling countryside between Cardiff, Caerphilly and Newport the Castle was built in 1626 by Sir Thomas Morgan of Machen.

Burnt out in 1941, Ruperra Castle has remained a neglected ruin. In 1998, it was purchased by a developer along with 17 acres of land and listed outbuildings and famous glasshouse. Over the years, the castle and its outbuildings have deteriorated. In 1981 the SE tower fell. There are serious cracks in the others. An application to build houses on the site was rejected by Caerphilly County Council in 2008, a rejection upheld in December 2009 by the Welsh Assembly Government after a Public Inquiry.

The castle is privately owned so there is no access to the grounds but a view can be obtained from Public Footpaths and from Coed Craig Ruperra, the woodland to the north owned by the sister Trust, Ruperra Conservation Trust. Although vehicular access is for residents only, public footpath no.12 runs along the drive at the north of the castle grounds. Public footpath no.1, the Rhymney Valley Ridgeway Footpath, can be accessed from the Hollybush Inn in Draethen. It goes through the woods to the Castle drive and down the side of the surrounding wall of the Castle grounds. Or you can walk from the car park entrance.

We are looking for new members to help achieve our aim of finding a solution to the demise of this important monument. Membership forms are available to download from the support page.